Saturday, April 23, 2011

Finals.

After a long school year of so many things happening at once, frustrations, heartbreak, sadness, depression, and late nights studying, we finally made it to finals week.
I am so ready to get out of here and go home for the summer!
But there is something that has really stuck out to me the past couple days...

I feel like I've really grown up this school year. I feel like an adult, and it's kinda scary. I grew up? I still am growing, but I just feel different. I used to put up with so much crap from people. But now, I've realized that I just don't have tolerance for immaturity anymore. I am tired of people tearing each other down, being disrespectful, acting like children, and just being downright ridiculous. I can't deal with it anymore. I've put up with so many different things for so long, and I'm trying to let it all go and be this new person I'm becoming. I've realized that there is more to life than Friday nights, having a boyfriend, being "popular", and needing all the attention from everyone (I was never really like that, but I sure had my moments). You don't expect to grow up, but once you realize that you have, it's like life just hands you a check and it says "REALITY" with big bold letters on it. But I'm also learning patience in figuring out that people grow and mature at their own pace. It's sure hard, but it's something I need to learn, I guess.

But overall, I've realized that certain things are more important than others. Mostly how important the Savior and Heavenly Father are in my life. I am grateful for everything I have been blessed with. I always am, but at this time of year with Easter coming up, I can't help but feel so much more gratitude. Jesus Christ died for me so that I can live with Him again. It was until this school year that I really fully grasped that idea.
Without Him in my life altogether, I KNOW I wouldn't be where I am today. Without Him sending me so many people that were there during those dark times this past school year, I definitely wouldn't be as happy with where I'm at now.

I'm so thankful for this year. Even though it felt like hell on earth, I learned how to dance in the rain. And let me tell you, that is not an easy thing to do. Like in the song, So Small, by Carrie Underwood:
"It's so easy to get lost inside a problem that seems so big at the time. It's like a river that's so wide, it swallows you whole. While you're sitting around thinking about what you can't change, and worrying about all the wrong things, time is flying by. Moving so fast. You better make it count, because you can't get it back."
That song definitely describes my whole sophomore year of college. I learned so much, and I'm so grateful for the experiences and the trials and the things that happened that made me realize what was really important.

So...here's to finals week, a good summer, and learning to embrace this person I'm becoming!


1 comment: